Estudiar Extranjero
> Español

Study AbroadAdditional information

IMPORTANT: The following topics are regarding responsibilities that correspond exclusively to the student. The Internacional Mobility Office is committed to provide the student with any additional information provided by the corresponding host university, but once his/her candidacy is formalized, the student should be informed of the procedures to be carried out, important deadlines, etc.


The management of accommodation, as well as the related payments in the host university, is the exclusive competency and responsibility of the student with the foreign university.

According to the information provided by the host university, the Internacional Mobility Office will inform the student of the modalities of accommodation and its management.

Depending on the university and the country of destination, the accommodations may be:

  • Residences of students on and/or off campus
  • Shared student flats
  • Accommodation with families
  • Houses on and off campus


  • Within the European Union: No visa is necessary for European citizens; the current DNI and/or passport are sufficient. For non-community students, a visa and even additional documentation may be required to study outside of Spain (especially important in case of having to apply for a "Tier 4" visa in the UK).
    In any case, the student must be informed about the administrative procedures for the city and/or destination country in which he/she will study.
  • Outside the European Union: It is compulsory to apply for a visa for students at the embassy of the country of destination. Obtaining it will be the responsibility of the student.

Medical insurance

It is absolutely essential for all students to have their stay abroad covered by medical insurance.

There are several options, according to the requirements of the host university:

  • Student's own medical insurance with international coverage.
  • Countries of the European Union: Students who go to universities within the EU must apply to Social Security for the Electronic Social Security Card, which will allow them to enjoy the Public Health services of the country of destination. However, it is not travel insurance and it is recommended they hire complementary insurance that extends the health coverage of the European Health Card.
  • Other destinations: Many host universities outside the European Union offer foreign students the possibility of hiring medical insurance managed by the university itself (valid for the duration of the exchange). Some of those universities, in fact, require that the student hire that medical insurance to ensure that the coverage complies with the legal requirements.
    Other universities outside the European Union accept medical insurance hired through other companies.
    The student must be informed about the options through the host university.
    Whatever the case, it is essential to carry out this procedure before departure.


Generally, for the EU, it is not necessary to present a vaccination card. However, several non-European universities require a record of vaccines certified by a doctor. The universities specify in their applications what vaccines are required and what medical documentation must be presented.