University Expert Degree in Laser Applications in Medicine and Surgery Physical, Technological, Instrumental and Clinical Bases
Lasers and light sources, along with other complementary technologies, play a prominent role in the diagnostic and, fundamentally, therapeutic arsenal in all medical-surgical specialties. However, there is a shortage of courses specifically aimed at training physicians in the physical, technological, instrumental, clinical and healthcare bases related to the use of lasers, especially in private medicine.
The Course of Laser Applications in Medicine and Surgery: Physical, Technological, Instrumental, Clinical and Healthcare Bases from Nebrija University presents a series of contents of interest to doctors and surgeons who already have experience in the instrumental use of laser, but wish to expand their knowledge on this subject for professional development in this area.
It is a comprehensive and general training course on medical-surgical lasers that facilitates the study, research and communication of said research in this field among the different specialists
Endorsed by the Spanish Society of Medical-Surgical Laser (SELMQ)
Professors: prestigious medical specialists
The training program for this Expert degree responds to the training needs established by scientific and medical societies in the sector regarding the application of lasers in Medicine and Surgery. The course has the counsel and support of the Spanish Society of Medical-Surgical Laser (SELMQ).
For doctors specializing in medical and surgical specialties
The teaching staff is mainly made up of renowned medical specialists with extensive theoretical knowledge and many years of practical experience, each of them in their respective fields. The faculty has been carefully selected based on their successful clinical experience, the academic and university trajectory of the professors, with extensive teaching experience in specialized courses and conferences.
Training course aimed at doctors of medical and surgical specialties (Ophthalmology, Gynecology, Urology, Pulmonology, Oncology, Spinal Surgery and Traumatology, and Otolaryngology) and the derma-aesthetic sector interested in training in the use and management of different types of lasers, light sources and energy-based devices (EBD) for the diagnosis and treatment of various pathologies.
- General practitioners and doctors of medical and surgical specialties (Ophthalmology, Gynecology, Urology, Pulmonology, Oncology, Spinal Surgery and Traumatology, and Otolaryngology) interested in training in the use and management of different types of lasers, light sources and energy-based devices (EBD) for the diagnosis and treatment of various pathologies.
- Doctors specializing in Dermatology, who regularly use lasers, and are interested in improving the results obtained in patients.
- Aesthetic Medicine Doctors, or specialists in Aesthetic, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, who habitually use lasers, and are interested in improving the results obtained in patients.
- General practitioners and specialists interested in clinical research with lasers and light sources.
- General practitioners and specialists interested in professional opportunities in the industrial sector of laser and light sources.
The main objectives of the program are:
- Know in a broad way the Physics of light, its electromagnetic spectrum, the particularities of laser light and energy-based devices, with its application in the medical and surgical sector.
- Know how to use lasers, light sources, and related equipment to carry out diagnoses and treatments in patients, under good practice, in the various medical and surgical specialties.
- Know how to handle the diagnostic and therapeutic applications of lasers, light sources and related technologies in medicine and surgery, with a special focus on the field of private medicine.
- The University Expert Degree in Laser Applications in Medicine and Surgery is taught through a sequence of chapters and content of online technical material through the Virtual Campus.
- Each subject is coordinated by a tutor-professor, who is responsible for setting the training itineraries and providing students, through the Virtual Campus, all the necessary material to study the subject.
- The Expert course is complemented by 10 scheduled interactive theoretical-practical webinars. Each webinar will be taught by an expert physician in the corresponding topic. It will consist of an audiovisual presentation by the speaker, to then give way to the students and answer any possible questions that may arise. The duration of each webinar will be 2.5 hours. including the time of student participation.
- Following of the teaching content by the student: In order to obtain the corresponding diploma, it will be necessary to follow the contents taught and pass the online multiple-choice test, as well as pass the Webinars assessment. Solving of clinical cases.
At the end of the Expert Program, the student will have acquired the knowledge and competences to:
- 1. Have acquired the competence to calculate and apply the dosimetric parameters of the laser's clinical application with efficacy and safety, in accordance with the recommended protocols based on clinical practice guidelines supported by scientific evidence.
- 2. Train to know the interaction of the laser in biological tissues, taking into account the protocolized safety and efficacy ranges.
- 3. Learn and know how to use laser applications in various medical-surgical specialties: Ophthalmology, Gynecology, Urology, Pulmonology, Oncology, Spine Surgery and Traumatology, and Otolaryngology.
- 4. Have acquired the knowledge and skills necessary to critically evaluate and analyze the technical and clinical documentation provided by the industry on the different equipment marketed in this field.
- 5. Have assimilated the knowledge and skills necessary to advise the industry on technical and clinical aspects related to lasers, light sources and other energy-based devices.
- 6. Possess the knowledge and skills necessary to evaluate and communicate clinical results obtained in patients (design of clinical trials, writing of texts and specialized scientific publications).
- 7. Know how to apply the knowledge and business skills necessary to direct and manage private clinics equipped with lasers and other energy-based devices.
- 8. Raise awareness to bear in mind at all times the ethical and deontological aspects in the doctor-patient relationship, generally in private healthcare.
- 9. Apply at all times the protection and safety regulations stipulated in the use of lasers, to protect patients and professionals at the same time.
Expert Degree Program 20 ECTS credits
- 1 ECTS | Physics of light and the electromagnetic spectrum: peculiarities of laser light. Energy-based devices.
- 3 ECTS | Structure and engineering of laser equipment
- 2 ECTS | Dosimetric parameters for clinical application
- 2 ECTS | Interaction of the laser with biological tissues
- 3 ECTS | Laser applications in medical-surgical specialties
- 3 ECTS | Applications of lasers in Dermato-Esthetics
- 6 ECTS | Assistance and research in medical-surgical lasers
Note: Credit recognition and transfer system
For students who have passed this Laser Expert course and wish to enroll in the Specialization Master's Degree in Medical-Surgical Lasers and related technologies for dermato-aesthetic uses, the 20 ECTS credits of theory corresponding to the first year of the Master's degree will be validated, given that the theoretical chapters of this Expert Course and the webinars correspond and coincide with those of the first year of the Master's degree.
Dr. Mario A. Trelles (MD, PhD)
Dr. Pedro A. Martínez-Carpio (MD, PhD)
There are a number of medical and surgical specialties with an important application of lasers (Ophthalmology, Gynecology, Urology, Pulmonology, Oncology, Spinal Surgery and Traumatology, and Otolaryngology).
The medical field where Laser technology is most applied is in dermal aesthetics.
Various treatments with the application of laser technology are developed exclusively in private medical practice and are not covered by public medicine; this has generated an important health-medical sector with an industrial component of devices, pharmaceutical industry and services, of great economic value. Many medical professionals have oriented their professional activity towards this sector, especially in dermo-aesthetics, due to the low remuneration of many of the public health specialties compared to other nearby countries. A minimally successful medical service in this sector tends to provide professional fees that are more favorable than the average for other specialties.